Sunday, September 26, 2010

What's on the shelves in your school's library?

The last couple of weeks have been educational. In the parenting sense. A friend of mine has a daughter that checked out a book from her middle school library. The title is What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones. This book was an extremely inappropriate book to be in the hands of an 11 year old child. It talks about many things that 11 year olds should not know or care about. What is concerning is that this book and many others are available in your child's school library. The librarian doesn't have time to read every book, obviously. But, shouldn't there be a screening for appropriate books to fill a library for middle school children? The boy in the book states that he would rather feel his girlfriends breast than be in an orgy with Victoria's Secret models.......Is this really ok for your 11 year old kid to read? All the reviews for this book give glowing comments, two thumbs up, award winning....The dilemma comes here....who gets to decide what I think is appropriate for my kids to read? You, me, the librarian, the principal, Jenny on the block? Who gets to decide that there will be no discussion of God or morality, but books about sexual conquests of adolescents fill the shelves? I hate that book was there but I hate worse that someone else that I don't know how/why gets to decide what my kids can and cannot read. I greatly value literature (except for anything written by Jane Austin). Literature opens doors for people and is a fabulous creative outlet, but why is that book in a public middle school library?
I am a pretty open parent. I think the truth is the best way to go. I don't lie about or cover up much when it comes to their questions about sex. If I'm honest then they are better armed for the future, it's coming right around the corner.....and for some of you, it's here. It makes me nauseous thinking about it, but it's coming. There were two 8th graders pregnant at my son's school last year and one this year at my husband's school. What the heck is going on? Why and how were these kids able to engage in such adult actions? Is it because they hear and read and talk about it so openly now? I'm at a loss. I just know that when the male birth control shot/pills becomes available, I will tell my kids they're diabetic and they have to take this medication.......That's my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment