Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Yes, He's Going to Freakers Ball.

So, I posed on Facebook a couple of weeks ago to get other people's opinion about whether or not I should let my son (13 years old) go to Freakers Ball. The overwhelming majority said 'hell, no". But, I have gone against the majority. He's going. Here's why. I don't feel like I have to justify it to anyone but I want to share my reasons (ok, so that's justifying it to you). He LOVES music. Music appears to be his one and only passion as of yet. It's not my favorite type, heavy metal/rock, but it's ok. I read a lot of the lyrics when he gets new cd's and they're not too bad. A few 'f' bombs are dropped here and there, but they get dropped in my home here and there too sometimes. I don't want to stifle the passion. I don't want for him to feel like I don't accept the type of person he is becoming. What if someday he is a famous drummer? What if then he gets on stage at Madison Square Garden and says "Thanks mom for letting me be me" and paves the way for other kids to feel accepted. What if? Also what if he never becomes a famous drummer? Then who gives a shit, so he went to a rock concert and heard some 'f' bombs and saw some scantily clad ladies....then what? Then he leads a regular life and goes on with his passion in his free time. I don't want to be the person that says 'no' to someones dreams. Maybe it's silly but he could very well be a famous drummer someday. He has all the qualities: Handsome, Smart, ADHD, Good with the Ladies, Mad Drumming Skills....that is all you need. I think I am making the right decision. Yes, there are weirdos at Freakers Ball....but it's all about the music for him. There are really great bands this year. I hope the ladies keep their privates covered but if not, oh well....he sees that at the pool.

1 comment:

  1. I have no idea what this is...but I think you did the right thing. It's just music. And if he sees some freaks, oh well. Life is full of them.

    ReplyDelete